This five-session course is designed to support the entrepreneur through the start-up phase of their business. Participants will be better equipped to develop a comprehensive business plan and launch their entrepreneurial endeavors with confidence. Courses are offered in-person and online.
By the end of this course, participants will have a foundational understanding of business concepts, market analysis, financial management, legal considerations, and strategies to build networks.
This course is designed for budding entrepreneurs with no formal business education who are seeking to develop a business plan with the goal of launching a small business.
Session 1: Introduction to Business Fundamentals
- Understand the basic concepts and terminology of business.
- Recognize the importance of a business plan and its role in guiding business operations and attracting potential investors.
- Learn how to start talking about your business and your value proposition.
Session 2: Market Research and Analysis
- Learn how to conduct market research to identify target markets, customer needs, and competition.
- Understand how market analysis influences product/service development and business strategy.
- Understand how to build a brand and why it’s important.
Session 3: Financial Management and Planning
- Grasp the fundamental financial principles necessary for managing and planning a business, including budgeting, cash flow, and financial statements.
- Gain knowledge of financial forecasting and how it aids in making informed business decisions and securing funding.
- Learn to assess and forecast the financial viability of a business by calculating the break-even point, making informed assumptions about when the business can support owner compensation, and understanding the impact of Cost of Goods Sold (COGS) on profitability.
Session 4: Business Operations and Legal Considerations
- Comprehend the key aspects of operations management, including supply chain, logistics, and efficiency improvements, while also learning how to ensure the business receives payment through strategies such as invoicing and Point of Sale (POS) systems.
- Understand the legal and regulatory requirements for starting and operating a business.
Session 5: Building Networks and Graduation
- Learn strategies to build a business network, including networking events, online platforms, and industry associations.
- Understand the importance of mentorship, partnerships, and leveraging key resources for business growth and success.
- Practice pitching your business plan in a lightning talk format and conclude by stating next steps in launching the business.
Graduates of Small Business Essentials have the opportunity to meet with three volunteer expert advisors for one-on-one consultations in marketing, finance, legal, and more.
Ready to sign up?
Scholarship Information: WomenVenture asks those who can pay the full cost of investing in their business to do so to ensure that the limited scholarship funds we have can remove barriers to access for those who need them most. If the cost to invest in your business by taking our Getting Ready or Small Business Essentials courses is a barrier, please follow these steps:
1. Click here to view what scholarship level you may be eligible for.
2. Please register for an account on our client portal and fill out the Client Profile Form. Remember to include your household size and income, as this is how we calculate your scholarship amount.
3. After submitting the form, email firstname.lastname@example.org so that a team member can provide you with your scholarship code.